Thursday, December 4, 2008

The economics of writing

Today, December 4th, 2008 I consider the plight of artists, writers, and artisans in economic distress.  The American economy is not set up to facilitate the economic survival of writers and artists.  I am unaware of unsecured bank loans available for artists.  Instead the artist spend countless hours applying for long shot grants.  Often the grants are for small sums of money, say $500.  The artist not receiving grants or receiving too few grants is forced to use credit cards.  As an example of this trap, one of my credit cards just upped my rate to 24%.  A friend of mine relies on a credit card rate of 30%.  His plan is to pay off the cards when he sells some paintings.  My plan is to pay off my cards when I sell a book.  I wrote and published a book of poetry,  The Interview this year.  The book, although enjoyed by readers, has not benefited from a nationwide poetry reading tour.  Therefore the sales are only two or three copies a week.  If I would have sales of 100 copies a month through some of the major sellers such as Amazon.com and barnes & Noble I would earn $300. a month for my book.  Surely not enough money to live on.  I have a proposal for the new Obama Administration.  1. Create micro loans for artists, artisans and writers of amounts ranging from $15,000 to $60,000.  2. Provide funding so as to pay off 50% of the outstanding credit card debt owed by Artists, artisans and writers. 3.  Limit credit card companies to an upper interest rate of 16 %.

4 comments:

Mary Lois said...

I think your idea of funding for artists is commendable. I'll pass it along to Barack next time I see him.

Your verification word today (for this post) is rescur. I find that particularly profound. It could be "rescuer" or "rest cure." There's a poem in that.

Benedict S. said...

Every artist needs an Oprah. Or perhaps a labor union-like pressure group to create a hunger for better art and good writing in the millions of sofa-dwellers who're drawn like moths to American Idol and similar pasttimes for the mentally unfit.

Good luck with the new book. It wouldn't hurt to somehow squeeze a few excerpts into your blog. I'd be careful about advertising your address. Just be content with Amazon's vigorish.

Rupert Schmitt writers blog said...

Benedict, Do you mean the e-mail address? please verify. I will take your advise regarding excerpts. I attempted to put some poems into the iUniverse web site and it connected all of them together without any formatting. Looks like stream of consciousness.

When yu see Barrack, please tell him that Mary Lois wants to tell him to increase funding for artists. We need a rescur.

Benedict S. said...

Rupe, I see Barack almost every evening by way of DISH TV. I will be sure to convey your message (and ML's) to him for the next two nights. After that I can make no promises. I'm headed to California to witness my granddaughter's graduation from Cal Poly and I cannot speak with assurance of my safe arrival there. The pilot's time may come before mine is due . . . or his demise may be the Almighty's instrument for tolling my bell (along with a hundred or so innocent fellow passengers).

About the address....I meant your home address. Some enlightened "gentleman of Japan" may indeed leave a viral "bomb" in your inbox but I am reasonably confident it will not damage the crockery.